Bee Venom
honeyblog

Bee Venom

Bobbie Hershey

Tags Bee Venom

What is Bee Venom?
Bee venom is the colorless, bitter poison made by bees to make bee stings painful.  When you get stung, 0.1mg of venom is injected via the bee’s stinger.  Bee venom is a mixture of proteins including Medellin (accounting for 52% of venom pep tides), apamin and histamine.  These proteins cause inflammation (and therefore pain) and act as an anticoagulant (stops blood clots from forming).

How is it made?
Bee venom is extracted from bees by placing a plate of glass along the hive with a small electrical current running through it.  As the bees pass this plate, a small electric shock is delivered encouraging the bees to sting the glass surface.  The venom is deposited on the glass surface leaving the bee’s stinger intact.  It’s said that this process doesn’t kill or harm the bees themselves.

How is it taken?
Purified bee venom is given as a subcutaneous (under the skin) injection.  In terms of side effects, some people may experience redness or swelling at the injection site.  There are other less common side effects such as dizziness and itching.  In some studies, bee venom has been safely administered in doses as high as 20 bee stings, three times a week for 24 weeks.  As bee venom stimulates the immune system, there is a risk that people with autoimmune conditions may experience a flare.  It should be avoided during pregnancy and should certainly not be given in high doses as it causes the uterus to contract.

 

What are the health benefits?
It is ironic that the very thing that people are scared of – the bee sting – can be a powerful source of healing.  For centuries the belief that bee venom is beneficial in inflammatory conditions has been known.  It has been used for the relief of inflammatory conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis.  It has also been used to desensitize people that are allergic to bee venom – so called bee venom immunotherapy.  Repeated injections of bee venom under the skin results in an immune response which helps to reduce the reaction on future exposure.

Disclaimer: Always seek medical advice before trying any new health or medicinal product


Leave a Comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published